The Story of the Thistle St. Andrew's Curling Club
Thistle Curling Club: Est. March 27, 1874 Fourteen Club members of the St. Andrew's Curling Club decided to form a new curling club because the club could not accommodate the large membership, with only two sheets of outdoor ice. They located the new Thistle Curling Club on Golding Street, with two sheets of outdoor ice.
In 1879, a new covered rink was built, the first in the Maritimes, which provided protection only and did little for the ice.
In 1901, a new building was built which provided better conditions and three sheets of ice. According to the Constitution, the club was formed and its objectives were: “The fostering and promoting of the noble game of curling” and that the club consist of “Keen Curlers” - men who loved the game and were ever ready to meet foes in “Friendly Strife.” Hence the motto “We Daur Yi Tae The Fecht.”
The colours of the Tartan of Scotland's famous regiment, The Black Watch, became the club's official colours. In 1948, the club moved to new premises on Dufferin Avenue, and much of the building was done by the members themselves. With five sheets of artificial ice, complete with floodlights, new locker rooms, etc., membership grew by leaps and bounds, and we were bulging at the seams.
In 1975, the club suffered a disastrous fire which destroyed the head house, but left the walls of the ice shed standing. From there, the new club was built and expanded to eight sheets of ice, as the members of St. Andrew's Curling Club closed their club to join with Thistle. The result was Thistle-St. Andrew's Curling Club (TSA).
We are home to 8 sheets of curling ice - the most sheets east of Montreal. Our banquet hall is available for rental for corporate events and private parties.
Our mission is to provide quality programs and services to our members and to the community, in a social atmosphere, at our multi-purpose facility.